Thursday, February 5, 2009

That Was Interesting

This afternoon I met with the gastroenterologist and the acupuncturist. Firs and foremost, I've been given a brief reprieve from the colonoscopy, and instead I will be having an endoscopy of the upper GI the week after next. Apparently the doc is more worried about an ulcer, and possibly a liver issue. So we wait. P gets to drag my happy butt to the hospital at 6 AM the morning of the test. I'm sure he's ecstatic.

And now for the acupuncture. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I completely believe that Chinese Medicine works. I met with the doc for the first hour, going over my extensive medical history. After that, he spent time taking my pulse at different points, investigating my tongue and my palms, and doing an interesting body scan. He says that I am exposed to some sort of chemical that is causing me problems, and he also said my biggest problem areas seem to be my ute, my ovaries and my adrenal glands! I had briefly mentioned that my cycles have been irregular, but the main reason I went today was because of the itching and digestive issues. So I found that to be very interesting indeed.

Then he placed needles in the front of my lower legs, one of my forearms, several on top of my head, two in each ear, and one right between my eyes. I could feel a few go in, and I felt tingling on top of my head while the needles were in, but it was in no way uncomfortable. He left me like that for 25 - 30 minutes, came back, took the needles out, and I was done for the day. I'll go back for four more sessions and then he will present my "plan," which will be some mixture of acupuncture, herbs and/or supplements, and dietary changes.

I have to keep a food journal to bring back next time, and he wants me to eliminate diary for one week (easy - I hardly eat any). If that doesn't help my GI issues, he wants me to eliminate wheat for a week. Now that will be much more difficult, obviously. Although my grains consist mainly of oatmeal and brown rice...so I think I'll live. He also wants me to bring in my FF charts next time; in fact, he is familiar with Fertility Friend! Anyway, I am excited to get this show on the road. More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment