Wednesday, April 22, 2009

SA Results

They're in. And because my OB/GYN's office called ME (instead of me tracking them down), I knew before the nurse even told me that they were not good. The verdict: Low count, low motility. ::sigh::

So she gave us three options:

1. Just wait a month and run the SA again (I wasn't wild about this one since I knew this would result from the next two anyway...)

2. Have P. go directly to a urologist.

3. Both of us see an RE.

I was initially confused about whether 2 or 3 would be best. Not knowing where to turn for answers, I posted my very first question/intro on the Bump's Trouble Trying to Conceive (TTTC) board. Feeling like a complete rookie despite having lurked there for well over a month, I posted and waited to b flamed. Instead, these awesome ladies gave me some great input & made me feel very welcome. That made me feel like I wasn't alone & I had somewhere to turn for support, which was a small miracle in itself!

So with the input from the fantastic TTTC ladies and after talking to P., we decided to see an RE first and see if he has a urologist that he works with for IF. I think it will be good for us to be under the care of the RE, who can look at our issues as a couple, rather than just continuing to see separate specialists for everything. Besides, I'm not convinced that I'm off the hook with my own issues, given my late ovulation.

Luckily, the nurse gave me the name of the RE they prefer to work with, and it wasn't hard to set up a consultation there. We go in on May 12, assuming the limbo that is my career doesn't get in the way with travel during that week. So now I just need to make it until then!

In other news, I've completely gotten over my own sadness when discussing my sister's pregnancy with her, and that makes me happy. I even told her today about the SA results & having to see the RE. I am so thankful that I am able to see beyond my own issues and not let them get in the way of my relationship with my sister, because she truly is my best friend besides P.

So all in all, I guess today is a good day...because at least I'm getting somewhere. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not even allowing myself to think about the "what-if's" with regard to how bad the semen situation might be; I just need to hold on to some hope for the time being.

ETA: P. took the news surprisingly well. I thought that hearing that his swimmers weren't completely up to par was going to crush his fragile male ego, but I forgot: he is one of those guys who seems to have no feelings at times! His response: "Stuff like this happens. I'll work with a doctor and try to get it fixed quickly." Ahhhh...God love him! I wish I could be so laid back about all of this, I really do!

No comments:

Post a Comment